The Cuisinart CBK-100 bread maker is built to make bread with or without gluten, to knead dough recipes and even to cook jam when you are in a jam.
Our Cuisinart CBK-100 review considers its features, control panel, loaf sizes, audible alerts, advantages and disadvantages.
Cuisinart CBK-100: Features
- 12 menu options.
- 3 crust color options.
- 3 loaf sizes: 1, 1.5 and 2 pounds.
- Bake-Only option.
- Delayed-start timer for up to 13 hours.
- It comes with a recipe booklet, measuring spoon and measuring cup.
- Limited warranty for three years.
- Power failure backup system for up to 15 minutes.
- Preheat function on certain bread programs.
- Product built to North American electrical standards (110 to 120 volts).
- Removable lid with a viewing window.
- Stay-cool handles on the side so you won’t burn your hands.
- The nonstick bread pan and kneading paddle are both removable for easy cleaning.
Now that you’ve got the big picture, let’s look at the Cuisinart CBK-100 in more detail.
The control panel features the LCD screen (which is not backlit) as well as buttons for selecting the loaf size, crust color, menu program, rapid bake, delay start timer and the start/stop button. Here are the 12 menu options as well as a few notes on some of them:
- Basic/White (for white flour bread recipes)
- French/Italian (for bread with a crispy, brown crust)
- Whole Wheat (for whole wheat flour recipes)
- Sweet (for bread recipes containing high amounts of sugar, fat or protein)
- Gluten Free
- Packet Mix (for prepackaged 1.5 or 2-pound yeast bread mixes you buy at a store)
- Cake (for quick or batter breads that use baking powder, soda and eggs instead of yeast)
- Pasta Dough (mixes and kneads pasta dough)
- Jam (for cooking your own jams and chutneys, a few recipes are included in booklet)
- Rapid Bake
Rapid Bake Setting
The rapid bake menu option has its own button. It is not for baking bread very quickly (when the guests are already at the table) as the name might suggest. You may use it for a bread recipe that uses rapid rise yeast instead of standard yeast. You cannot set the loaf size or crust color when using rapid bake: it is set by default for a 1.5-pound loaf with a medium crust color.
Gluten Free Setting
Eating bread that does not contain gluten is vitally important for people with Celiac disease. The CBK-100 has a gluten free setting that bakes this type of bread. The easiest way to bake a gluten free bread loaf is to buy a packet of gluten free mixture. There are also gluten free recipes in the included recipe booklet that you can use if you want to start from scratch.
Keep in mind that fruit, nuts and seeds should be mixed in at the beginning with the flour mix. There is no audible alert for adding fruits and nuts when using the gluten free setting. This setting has only one rise and it bakes for longer to compensate for the wetter dough mixture.
It might happen that the mixture is so wet at the start that the gluten free baking program is not long enough to bake the loaf completely. Decrease the amount of moisture in the recipe or add a few teaspoons of flour the next time you mix the ingredients. It might help. Otherwise you will have to finish baking it in the oven for another 10 or 15 minutes, which can be annoying since you did not buy a bread machine just to use the oven as well.
You may use the dough setting to mix ingredients, knead dough and take it through a single rise. You may then remove the dough, knead and shape it by hand and let it rise once or twice more before baking it in the oven.
The last rise is done outside of the bread machine. If you do not like that, then use one of the bread menu programs which will take it through two rises. Listen for the second audible signal of 6 beeps, take out the dough and press the start/stop button to cancel the bread baking process. Put it in an oven bread pan and into a hot oven to bake.
Bread Loaf Sizes
The available loaf sizes are 1 pound, 1.5 pounds or 2 pounds. The bread loaf size is slightly deeper (about 7 inches) than it is wide (5 inches), so the loaf is rectangular in shape. The 1.5-pound loaf looks like an oven-baked bread while the 2-pound loaf is quite tall.
You can choose between three crust colors for your loaf. Use the dark crust setting for a hard, tough crust and the others for a lighter, softer top.
The mix-in sound signal for adding fruit or nuts is activated on the following menu options: Basic/White, Whole Wheat, French/Italian and Sweet. It gives five short beeps toward the end of the second kneading cycle to remind you to open the lid and add the extra ingredients.
Six short beeps will sound at the end of the kneading cycles (before the last rise) to remind you to remove the kneading paddle or reshape the dough. The bread machine will pause for 15 minutes, then resume with the baking process. At the end of the baking cycle there are 15 beeps to tell you the machine has finished its baking program. It now switches to keeping the bread warm for 60 minutes.
Order of Ingredients
The correct order for putting ingredients into the bread pan is liquids first, dry ingredients second and yeast last. The yeast is activated when it comes into contact with the liquid, so do not let it get wet until the mixing cycle starts. The water should be at room temperature. If the water is boiling hot it will kill the yeast and if it is uncomfortably cold the yeast will not activate.
Plug in the appliance and start pressing buttons after the bread pan is in place and the lid is closed. You may add extra liquid or bread flour one teaspoon at a time if the dough is too dry or too wet.
The bread maker might take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to preheat, mix, knead, rise and bake a bread loaf depending on the type of bread program you use.
Cuisinart CBK-100: Advantages
- It is reasonably priced (view current price at Amazon.com).
- It has a gluten free bread menu option.
- It looks good and has stay-cool handles.
- It has a recipe booklet with a few recipes to jump-start your baking.
Cuisinart CBK-100: Disadvantages
- The instruction manual does not state the bread program time duration.
- It does not have a convection feature like the Cuisinart CBK-200 (read review).
- The gluten free menu option only allows for a 1.5-pound loaf size.
- The dough and pizza dough options work great for making various kinds of dough.
- You cannot program the appliance with your own settings for knead, rise and bake.
Please read the instruction manual before you attempt to operate this Cuisinart bread machine. Do not throw away the packaging materials or the box since you might need it again if the bread maker develops a serious problem and you need to send it to the manufacturer.
Remember to rinse the bread pan, kneading paddle and measuring utensils before using it for the first time. It is very important to use exact measurements when adding the ingredients. Follow the bread machine recipes very closely: exact measurements are required.
|The Cuisinart CBK-100 is an affordable, shiny, single paddle bread maker that is popular with gluten free bread machine bakers. Those that are not sensitive to gluten will find all the basic bread programs they need to make delicious bread loaves at home (buy from Amazon.com).|