An ordinary bread machine kneading paddle inevitably leaves a hole in the bottom of a machine baked loaf. A bread machine with a collapsible paddle might be an alternative if this is a big issue for you.
How does a collapsible paddle work?
The collapsible kneading blade is pushed upright when it turns in one direction during mixing and kneading. Then the collapsible paddle turns in the opposite direction which causes it to be pushed down flat before the baking starts. Therefore the finished loaf has only an indentation mark instead of a hole in the bottom. Keep in mind that the paddle may not always collapse completely, but it does work most of the time.
We will try to help you by providing examples of bread makers with collapsible paddles that do not leave a hole in the bread loaf. We start with the Breadman BK2000B and then move on to the Breville BBM800XL. We also discuss another Breadman bread machine: the BK1050S. Our conclusion tells you which bread machine with folding blades we prefer.
Breadman BK2000B with Two Collapsible Paddles
That’s right! The Breadman BK2000B has two collapsible kneading blades that collapse downward before the baking cycle begins. The BK2000B also features a unique dual bread pan baking system. This dual pan system gives you the opportunity to bake either two small 1-lb bread loaves or one normal size loaf. The BK2000B bread maker therefore includes two 1-pound bread pans and one traditional bread pan.
That is not all: the Breadman BK2000B (full review) comes packaged with no less than four paddles! Two collapsible paddles and two non-collapsible paddles are included with the bread pans. The reason for this is simple: you cannot use the collapsible kneading blades with the 1-lb bread pans. You use the two ordinary kneading blades with the 1-lb pans and you use the collapsible paddles for the traditional loaf pan. You can bake a maximum loaf size of 2.5 pounds with the traditional loaf pan.
There are 13 menu options to choose from: White, Rapid White, Whole Wheat, Rapid Whole Wheat, French, Sweet, Rapid Sweet, Gluten Free, Quick Bread, Dough, Low Carb, Jam and Bake Only.
It has an automatic fruit and nut dispenser which adds the extra ingredients you loaded into its dispenser. Please note that you may not use the automatic fruit dispenser when making small bread loaves with the two 1-lb pans.
It has a 15-hour delay timer and a 7-minute power failure protection system. This machine has a viewing window in the lid and measures 13.8 x 11.7 x 13.8 inches.
What do owners think about the Breadman BK2000B?
- The three bread pan system is a really unique feature.
- It is a good bread machine that includes a lot of features.
- The collapsible paddles do not always collapse completely.
- Read the manual before you start using it: it might save you unnecessary trouble.
- Fruit and nut dispenser could have been better designed, it is not reliable enough.
- Customer service for this product is sometimes poor and replacement parts are hard to get.
|Check the price and availability of the Breadman BK2000B Bakery Pro bread maker at Amazon.com.|
Breville BBM800XL with Folding Paddle
The Breville BBM800XL (reviewed here) features a collapsible kneading paddle and an automatic fruit and nut dispenser. The LCD screen displays 13 settings, 3 crust colors options, 4 loaf sizes, bread cycle time remaining as well as a progress indicator. The 13 automatic settings are Custom, Basic, Whole Wheat, Rapid, Gluten Free, Crusty Loaf, Sweet, Yeast Free, Dough, Pizza, Pasta, Bake Only and Jam.
It can handle 4 loaf sizes all the way from small (1.0 lb) up to an extra large family size (2.5 lb). It also has a viewing window in the lid and a baking chamber light. It has a mute button to turn beeping sounds off when using the delay timer for programming a freshly baked bread for breakfast. This bread maker weighs almost 17 pounds and measures 9.6 x 16.4 x 13.3 inches.
What do owners think about the Breville BBM800XL?
- Its LCD screen is easy to read.
- Bread program cycles can be adjusted: you can even save your own settings.
- Collapsible paddle really reduces the damage done to the bottom of the bread loaf.
- Automatic fruit and nut dispenser is a useful feature, but could be a little larger.
- Some owners like the collapsible kneading paddle while other users would prefer an ordinary paddle.
|View prices, questions, answers and reviews for the Breville BBM800XL Custom Loaf bread maker at Amazon.com.|
Breadman BK1050S with Collapsible Blade
The Breadman BK1050S is another Breadman bread maker that has a collapsible paddle. You can use the control panel buttons to choose from 14 menu functions: White, White Rapid, Whole Wheat, Whole Wheat Rapid, French, French Rapid, Sweet Bread, Quick Bread, Low Carb, Gluten Free, Dough, Artisan Dough, Jam and Bake Only.
It can bake three loaf sizes from 1 pound to 2 pounds. The usual three crust color options are provided. It also has an automatic fruit and nut dispenser. Breadman seems to love dispensers very much. Many of their bread machines have an automatic raisin nut dispenser as a standard feature.
What do owners say about the Breadman BK1050S?
- Remember that the whole wheat setting starts with a 30-minute rest cycle.
- It makes good bread when you study the manual and follow the instructions carefully.
- The collapsible paddle means that they do not have to dig the paddle out of the bread loaf.
- A few owners have had bad luck with the paddle scraping the Teflon coating from the bread pan.
- Replacement pans and paddles might be hard to get: Breadman does not seem to stock enough parts.
|We suggest that you read both the negative and positive reviews for the Breadman BK1050S at Amazon.com to get a better overview of this Breadman collapsible paddle bread machine.|
The Breadman BK2000B and the Breadman BK1050S are the more affordable options when compared with the Breville BBM800XL. The cheapest bread maker with a collapsible kneading blade is the Breadman BK1050S.
The best choice for a collapsible paddle bread machine is the Breville BBM800XL (buy from Amazon.com).
Why? Here are three reasons:
- The Breville BBM800XL has the highest average customer review rating when compared to the other bread makers with folding blades. It has a better control panel, customer service and might be more reliable in the long term.
- The BBM800XL also has a mute button which mutes audible sound alerts. This is a very rare feature on bread machines and it may be useful if you want to use the delay-start timer to bake a bread loaf overnight.
- The BBM800XL has another rare feature. It has a light button which turns on a light inside the baking chamber. This makes it easier to see the contents of the bread pan through the viewing window in the lid. However, the viewing window might fog up during the baking process, so it does have its limitations.
Thank you for reading our post about bread machines with collapsible paddles.