The best feature of the Zojirushi BB-HAC10 mini bread maker is its small size of only 8 by 11 by 12 inches and its low weight of 12 pounds. The downside is that it is limited to making 1 pound bread loaves.
- 1 Zojirushi BB-HAC10: List of Features
- 2 One Pound Loaf Size
- 3 Vertical Baking Pan
- 4 Delay Timer
- 5 Can it prepare dough?
- 6 Can it make whole wheat bread?
- 7 Can it make banana bread?
- 8 Can it prepare sour dough bread?
- 9 How do you add fruit/nuts/raisins?
- 10 How do you clean the baking pan?
- 11 Zojirushi BB-HAC10 vs. Zojirushi BB-PAC20
- 12 Advantages
- 13 Disadvantages
- 14 Conclusion
Zojirushi BB-HAC10: List of Features
- 1 pound bread loaf making capacity.
- Accessories: measuring cup, spoon, user manual with recipes, instruction video.
- Beeping signal for adding fruit, raisins or nuts.
- Bread maker has its own carrying handle.
- Crust control button: light or regular setting.
- It is a small bread machine that weighs only 12 pounds.
- It is for household use only.
- LCD display shows time left until finished, mode selected, etc.
- Mode selection button: basic, soft, quick, French or dough.
- Nonstick baking pan twists and locks into place.
- Power consumption: heater uses 450 watts while the motor uses 95 watts.
- Power supply is 120-volt, 60Hz, AC electrical current.
- Removable lid with viewing window and steam vent.
- Rest cycle warms up flour and liquid before kneading cycle.
- Separate buttons for jam, cake and cookie/pasta dough.
- Single nonstick kneading blade.
- Start/Reset button: Press once to start or press and hold to cancel process.
- Timer button: delay the finish time of bread loaf by maximum of 13 hours.
- Cost: check prices at Amazon.com.
One Pound Loaf Size
The 1 pound bread loaf size works well for a single person, a couple or a small family of three individuals. If you are in a bit of a hurry, you might bake a 1 pound bread loaf in about 2 hours using the quick baking mode selection and a rapid rise yeast bread recipe.
If you want to feed a larger family or bake bread for a family gathering, then this bread maker is much too small. Read our post about bread machines for large families if you need to bake larger loaves.
Vertical Baking Pan
The baking pan makes a narrow, vertical bread loaf. Be careful when removing the bread pan from the baking chamber because it will be very hot after baking is completed. Cleaning the baking pan and paddles are best done gently and carefully because the nonstick coating can be scratched.
Please note that the timer function is not available for all of the programs. The delay timer can only be used with the basic, soft and French mode selections. It does not work with the quick baking, dough, cookie/pasta dough, cake or jam course.
Can it prepare dough?
Yes, the Zojirushi BB-HAC10 has a dough setting for preparing bread dough recipes that use active dry yeast. It takes approximately one hour and forty-five minutes from start to finish. The dough setting has the following steps: rest, knead, first rise, stir down and second rise.
The following dough recipes and instructions are provided in the BB-HAC10 instruction manual:
- Butter roll
- Cinnamon roll
- Whole wheat buns
- Traditional pizza dough
- Pizza dough with beer
- Soft pretzels
That is not the only dough that this small bread machine can prepare. The cookie/pasta dough setting prepares dough for making cookies or pasta. The instruction manual has recipes for making basic cookies, oatmeal cookies and sugar cookies. You can even make dough for pasta, lasagne and scones.
Can it make whole wheat bread?
The Zojirushi BB-HAC10 mini bread machine might be small, but it can still make whole wheat bread. Its manual has recipes for 100% whole wheat bread, fat free basic wheat bread and 100% whole wheat apple bread.
Can it make banana bread?
Yes, it can make a small banana bread loaf. The manual has a recipe for making banana bread. You cannot use the timer function for making banana bread because the banana might spoil inside the baking pan. No problem, banana bread is never baked overnight and served for breakfast.
Can it prepare sour dough bread?
No, the BB-HAC10 does not have a sour dough starter course and its manual does not include sour dough bread recipes.
You should consider one of the bigger 2-pound loaf Zojirushi bread machines because they have a course for making a sour dough starter. The product manuals of the BB-CEC20 and the BB-PAC20 also contain information and recipes for making 2-lb sour dough bread loaves.
How do you add fruit/nuts/raisins?
The Zojirushi BB-HAC10 does not have an automatic fruit and nut dispenser. You need to wait for the add ingredient signal, which occurs about 30 minutes after pressing the start button. It beeps five times and the word “ADD” flashes on the display. Open the lid and add the extra ingredients while the dough is being kneaded. The add fruit/nut signal happens during the kneading step.
How do you clean the baking pan?
The way to clean the baking pan is to put some water into it to loosen the kneading blade (if it is stuck). You can wash it with a soft, non-abrasive sponge and kitchen detergent.
The most important things to remember are:
1. Do not immerse the baking pan in water because it might cause rust to form in the rotating shaft.
2. Do not leave water inside the baking pan for too long (might cause damage to rotating shaft seal).
3. Do not use abrasive materials because the baking pan has a nonstick coating.
4. Do not wash it in the dishwasher.
Zojirushi BB-HAC10 vs. Zojirushi BB-PAC20
The biggest difference is the size of the bread loaf (and the amount of dough) that these Zojirushi bread machines can prepare and complete. The BB-HAC10 can only make 1 pound loaves. The BB-PAC20 can make 1.5-lb and 2-lb loaves, but it cannot make a 1-lb loaf size. Your choice between the two depends on the loaf sizes you prefer and the number of people you need to feed.
Another difference that might be important is the gluten free course of the BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso. It is the only Zojirushi bread maker that has a gluten free setting. The BB-HAC10 mini bread maker does not have a gluten free course and its manual has only one gluten free recipe for brown rice bread. The BB-PAC20 is a much better choice for baking gluten free bread.
Bread machine bakers who dislike the rest step of Zojirushi bread machines, take note: the rest cycle of the BB-HAC10 mini bread machine cannot be cancelled. However, the rest cycle of the BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso can be turned off by pressing and holding both the time up and time down buttons for longer than three seconds (until the display shows “REST OFF”). This is a small point, but it might be useful information to someone.
- It mixes and kneads dough for bread, pizza, cookies and pasta.
- Delay timer can be used to make fresh bread for breakfast.
- Small 1 pound bread loaf size makes it suitable for one person or a couple.
- Its compact design takes up less counter space than other bread machines.
- Loaf size is too small to be practical for a large family.
- The LCD display is not backlit and might sometimes be difficult to read.
- It does not have an automatic dispenser for adding additional ingredients.
- The rest cycle, which warms the ingredients before mixing, cannot be cancelled.
- Individual knead, rise and bake cycle times cannot be reprogrammed according to personal preference.
- Kneading blade does not collapse, leaves a small hole in the bread loaf.
The Zojirushi BB-HAC10 really is a mini bread maker. It is limited to making one pound bread loaves which will not last long in a big household. However, its small footprint means that it does not need a lot of counter space to do its job.
It is well constructed and offers all the basic functions of its bigger 2-pound bread machine brothers except for the ability to reprogram custom knead, rise and bake times. It also does not have a gluten free course like the BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso.
|If you have limited kitchen counter space available and if you are baking for only 1 to 3 people, then this 1 pound mini bread machine might be the solution. You just have to reconcile yourself with the relatively expensive price of between $150 to $200 (buy from Amazon.com).|