The dual blade Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme bread machine makes a traditional shape 2-pound bread loaf that does not look like it came out of a tin can.
The Zojirushi BB-CEC20 has a control panel with buttons and LCD display for selecting the crust shade, time delay, bread, cake, jam, dough or programmable home made courses. It is more expensive than most bread makers, but it might be worth the high price tag. Here is our review of its features, questions, advantages and disadvantages.
Zojirushi BB-CEC20: Features
- Accessories: measuring cup, measuring spoon and instruction manual with recipes.
- Audible signal reminds you to add fruit and nuts.
- Automatic 60-minute keep warm cycle at the end of the baking cycle.
- Home made course lets you customize the bread making steps according to your own preferences.
- Horizontal shape bread pan that produces a normal rectangular bread loaf.
- Household use only.
- It runs on 120-volt, 60Hz AC electrical current.
- LCD display shows selected settings and the time remaining until completion of program.
- Operation light shows you that the bread maker is in operation.
- Power usage: Heating element (600W), motor (100W).
- Preheat function for warming ingredients before mixing and kneading (it can also be turned off).
- Select course button for choosing the baking or dough preparation program.
- Start/Reset button starts course, starts timer or cancels course if held down until it beeps.
- Timer button delays completion of bread or dough program by up to 13 hours.
- Two kneading paddles for thorough dough kneading.
- Viewing window for checking on progress without opening the lid.
Depending on the settings and what the bread maker is doing, the following things might be shown (not all at once): small black indicators for course and crust color, preheat, knead, rise, bake, complete, keep warm, memory 123 and time remaining.
Select Course Button
You press this button to choose between the following bread making or dough and jam preparation functions:
- Basic Wheat
- Basic Dough
- Quick Wheat
- Quick dough
- Sour Dough Starter
- Home Made
Home Made Course Buttons
Keep pressing the select course button until you get to the home made courses. There are three programmable home made courses. All the home made bread making cycles are set to OFF by default. Press the cycle button to select the preheat cycle. Use the time button to set the time (it advances one minute at a time). Press the cycle button again to get to the next cycle, which is knead.
Here is a list of all the cycles that can be modified with the home made function:
- Preheat (1 to 30 minutes)
- Knead (1 to 30 minutes, more than 5 minutes to activate mix-in signal)
- Rise 1 (1 minute to 24 hours)
- Rise 2 (1 minute to 2 hours)
- Rise 3 (1 minute to 2 hours)
- Bake (1 to 70 minutes)
- Keep Warm (60 minutes)
Programming the home made courses, as well as erasing the settings, can be a little complicated and you might want to study the manual for a more detailed explanation.
Crust Control Button
Press the crust control button to select a light, medium or dark crust color. Please note that the crust color only works for these four courses: Basic, Quick, Cake and Home Made.
The delay timer only works for these course selections: Basic, Basic Wheat, Basic Dough and Home Made. Do not use a recipe that contains ingredients such as milk or eggs which might get bad if left in the baking chamber for a few hours.
The Zojirushi BB-CEC20 has a delay timer that is similar to other bread machines: you repeatedly press the timer button to advance the time in 10-minute steps. The maximum delay time is 13 hours. The delay time returns back 10 minutes if you press past 13 hours. There are no timer up or down buttons, so be careful not to go past your desired delay time or you will have to go around again.
You press the start button once to start the bread machine. The operation light will turn on, but nothing might happen because the bread machine has to preheat the ingredients in the bread pan. To cancel your selected settings, or to stop the keep warm cycle, you press and hold the start button until the bread machine beeps.
Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Manual
It is very important to read the instruction manual for the BB-CEC20 closely before embarking on your first bread making experiment. It contains useful information about important safeguards, machine parts, control panel, how to use the timer, how to measure ingredients, useful tips, recipes, how to use the home made course, cleaning instructions, abnormal conditions and a troubleshooting guide.
The manual contains two gluten free bread recipes for people with a gluten intolerance or celiac disease: gluten free brown rice bread and gluten free raisin bread. This is just to get you started. If you want more gluten free recipes, then you apparently need to call Zojirushi customer service. Too bad the extra recipes are not simply included in the manual with the rest.
You can also use mixes that you bought from a store or you can buy a gluten free bread machine recipe book and experiment with those recipes.
Does it make whole wheat bread?
Yes, there is a recipe in its in instruction manual for 100% whole wheat bread. You need water, whole wheat flour, sugar, dry milk, salt, vital wheat gluten, butter and bread machine yeast for the recipe. You have to use active dry yeast when you select the basic wheat course. You need to use rapid rise yeast for the quick wheat course.
Know that the basic wheat course starts with a 40-minute preheating step to warm all the ingredients before the first kneading. The quick wheat course has a short preheating step: only five minutes long.
Can it make 1 pound bread loaves?
Well, it might but we do not recommend it. The Zojirushi BB-CEC20 is made to make only 2-pound bread loaves. It does not have a loaf size button like most other bread machines.
Possible to turn off preheat function?
Yes, you can turn it off if the ingredients you use are already at the right temperature. Keep in mind that turning off preheating might have a negative influence on the rising if the room temperature is very cold.
First, select the course you want to use. The jam, cake and home made courses do not have preheat cycles. Now, press and hold both the time and cycle buttons (home made buttons) for about 3 to 5 seconds until the display shows the words “PREHEAT OFF”. The bread machine will start kneading right away after pressing the start button.
Bake bread with sour dough starter?
Yes, but first you need to make the sour dough starter. It consists of water, bread flour and active dry yeast. Follow the sour dough starter recipe directions and prepare it in the bread machine with the sour dough course. It takes 2 hours and 10 minutes to complete.
There are two sour dough bread recipes in the manual: light sourdough and traditional sour dough.
The light sour dough bread can be made right after the the starter is completed. You remove the baking pan, add the extra ingredients, replace the baking pan and then select the basic course.
The traditional sour dough bread cannot be made immediately after the starter is finished. It needs to be kept at room temperature for up to 10 days. You may also program the 24-hour “Rise 1” step of the home made course to keep it at the right temperature if you live in a cold climate. After 7 to 10 days the starter will be ready and you may prepare it, along with adding extra ingredients, for baking using the basic course.
You do not have to use the baking pan for keeping the starter. You may transfer the sour dough starter to a glass or stainless steel bowl. The baking pan is then free to use for baking other types of bread.
Remove paddles before baking step?
Some people prefer to remove the kneading paddles so that it is not baked into the bread loaf. The Zojirushi BB-CEC20 has no audible alert for paddle removal. Timing it just right to remove the paddles could be awkward, but might be possible after the last stir down and during the last rising step. Consult the instruction manual for the times of the stir down and last rise for each menu course.
- Home Made Course for programming your own knead, rise and bake times.
- It is a fairly quiet bread machine.
- It makes a good whole wheat bread.
- It makes a large 2-pound traditional rectangular shape bread loaf.
- Preheat function can be turned off.
- It is heavy: might not move around on the counter while kneading.
- Great quality machine, but you pay a high price for it.
- One side of the horizontal loaf tends to rise and bake slightly higher than the other side.
- Two kneading blade holes in the bottom of the bread instead of the usual one.
- You cannot change the loaf size, it only bakes a 2-pound loaf.
- The top of the bread crust can often be lighter than the rest of the bread as well as unevenly browned.
- It does not have a bake-only course, you will need to program a home made course to get a single baking cycle.
Zojirushi BB-CEC20: Conclusion
Do not expect the Zojirushi BB-CEC20 bread maker to be perfect in every way just because you paid a high price for it. It does have a few minor issues, such as the uneven browning of the top crust and its slightly lopsided appearance. You might have to even out the top of the bread dough with your hands just before the baking cycle starts so that the top crust is completely level and not lopsided.
If the uneven and light browning of the top crust is too much of an issue for you, then you might prefer the Zojirushi BB-PAC20 bread maker. It has a small heater built into the lid to solve the problem of uneven crust color. Read our Zojirushi BB-PAC20 review for more information.
Nevertheless, the construction quality is good and it might last for a few years of frequent baking. The kneading paddles and baking pan are not difficult to clean, but do not put them in the dishwasher or immerse the baking pan in water. Use a soft sponge, water and liquid detergent to clean the inside of the baking pan.
|The Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme costs more than $200 (view prices at Amazon.com), it makes good bread, it can be programmed with custom cycle times, the majority of owner reviews are positive, although some owners dislike the preheat step.|